Judy M. Nelson
Term: 3/15 - 3/19
Judy M. Nelson was elected to Glendora City Council in 2011, served as Mayor in 2014 and was re-elected for a second term as a council member in 2015.
Judy is the owner of Mrs. Nelson’s Toy and Book Shop, Inc. and has a B.S. degree in Occupational Therapy from Texas Woman’s University. She worked as a therapist, specializing in pediatric rehabilitation, for ten years after college graduation.
Judy grew up in Los Angeles and married her husband, Byron, in 1968. They moved to Glendora in 1980 to raise their four young children, Robin, Laura, Patrick and Andrew. Judy was a stay-at-home mom until 1985 when her youngest children, twins, were in 2nd grade. At that time, she opened Mrs. Nelson’s Toy and Book Shop. Over the last three decades, she expanded the business to encompass 3 independent companies including school book fairs, which are now managed by her daughter Laura, and library bindery services, which are managed by her son Patrick. In 2014, after nearly 30 years in business, the brick and mortar book store was closed due to changes in retail shopping patterns.
Judy serves as a representative to the following agencies:
- The National Forest Foundation’s San Gabriel Mountains National Monument Community Collaborative and
- The Rivers and Mountains Conservancy, representing the San Gabriel Valley Water Association.
Judy is an alternate delegate to:
- The League of California Cities
- The San Gabriel Valley Council of Governments (SGV COG),serving on the Water and the Energy, Environment and Natural Resources (EENR) committees
- The Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) and
- The San Gabriel Valley Water Association.
Judy also regularly attends the San Gabriel Valley Economic Partnership (SGVEP) and Three Valleys Municipal Water District Board meetings.
While in office, Judy has been guided by the principles of small government, limited regulation, low taxation and protection of personal freedom. She encourages open communication of issues and encourages citizen participation in local governance. Judy is dedicated to ensuring that Glendora remains fiscally sound and prosperous, now and into the future.