What is Battle of the Books?
A book trivia competition in October for students going into grades 6-12 in the fall. You read three books and answer questions about them. Registration began Monday, June 1, 2015. The competition is October 29.
How does it work?
1. You find two friends and form a team of three. These should be friends who love to read. Pick a team leader. Substitution of team members is permitted until September 19, 2015. All teams must have three members.
2. You come up with a great team name (good example: "The Bookmasters!"; bad example: "Team #5").
3. You pick up a registration form from the library's Children's room desk, fill out the required info completely (every team member's names, address, t-shirt size, etc. - incomplete forms will not be accepted), and return the form to the Children's desk as soon as possible. Only 20 teams will be registered.
4. Your team receives a free set of the three books being read for this year's contest:
5. You read and discuss the books with your teammates and memorize every possible detail you can about each.
6. You receive Battle t-shirts to wear in the competition.
7. At 6 p.m. on Thursday, October 29, 2015, in Bidwell Forum upstairs from the library, teams will be asked a series of questions about the three books. You are allowed to get one question wrong without being eliminated, but two wrong knocks your team out. Last team standing wins.
8. Members of the first and second place teams receive prizes. All other teams receive a small participation gift.
When can I sign up?
From June 1 until September 19, 2015, or until 20 teams are registered.
See a slide show of a past competition.
Who may I contact if I still have a question even after I have exhaustively read and re-read the information sheet?
Call the library's children's room at 626-852-4891.